Sunday, November 4, 2007

Ability inability.

Progress on the game's code has started. Whoooo!

The first thing I'm coding is the ability system because it's basically the crux of the game. As a tactics game that's trying to emphasize tactics, the abilities are extremely important. It took me a long time to figure out how to properly code the system to be as flexible as I need, but I think I've succeeded. The system itself is just starting, but I now have a clear idea of how to proceed.

I made the bold (read: stupid) decision to hard-code each ability since their effects will mostly be unique and very widely varying. I might reverse this in the future if I find a lot of overlap, but I don't see it happening.

Because I'm just learning ogre and I don't have a very easy way to do input parsing (I could just take keypresses or put some crappy GUI widgets up, but that's a hassle since I'm still shaky around ogre), I'm also writing a pseudo-battle-state-machine by which to test the interplay of abilities. It feels almost silly to be saying this since I can't really illustrate it, but I feel it necessary to report on my actions.

Here's a screenshot. It doesn't show much, because there's not much to show yet. Yes, that is the default ogre robot mesh. I've injected my own texture into a material and made the randomly generating tile map thing you see there. What's most important is that it illustrates how exploration will be tile-based, and the camera will be third-person at an angle (I totally didn't gank this from Azure Dreams. Really.)

(Also I didn't show the screenshot directly because I didn't want anyone jumping to it immediately and going WTF THIS SUCKS OMG. Read the post, goobers. And keep in mind I've just started the project.)

No comments: